Community Groups Discussion Guides
Discipleship happens in community!
Community Group Discussion Guide
1 Peter 2:13-25
(Week of February 5, 2023)
Getting to know you
1. Would your close friends label you a rule keeper or rule breaker? Explain why.
2. Looking back at the sermon from this week's teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, was reminded of, or was a big takeaway for you?
3. Take a few minutes and read aloud 1 Peter 2:13-25
Getting into the text:
Peter now moves to the issue of submitting to authority as a means of a Christian witness.
4. Read 1 Peter 2:13-15 Should we submit to a government that upholds unjust laws and institutions?
1. When should we not submit to governmental authority? What is your biblical support for civil disobedience?
2. Both Peter (1 Peter 2:13-15) and Paul (Romans 13:1-5) support the idea of obeying those in charge as a matter of obedience and conscience. How do you see these commands playing out today in our Christian culture? Also, are there examples of how this verse can be misapplied?
5. What does it mean to live as free men (verse 16)? In what way could we cover up evil as believers? (See Galatians 5:13, John 8:32)
1. Read Verse 17. What does it look like to honor others, and why is this a crucial Christian ethic?
(Matthew 5:14, John 5:23)
6. Verse 18, In many translations, calls for enslaved people to submit to their masters; in reading this how does this make you feel and why?
1. How has this verse often been misunderstood when isolating this verse alone, lacking biblical context and
history? (Exodus 21:2, Leviticus 25:39-40, Deuteronomy 15:13-14, Genesis 1:27, Philemon 1:16)
2. Discuss how you believe this verse would have and should be applied today.
3. Reading verses 18-20 in context, what idea is Peter attempting to promote and why?
7. Read verses 21-25 and discuss how when we suffer unjustly, we are emulating Christ.
1. What is the purpose the church has been called to?
2. In what areas do you need to grow to handle the unjust treatment of yourself and others?
3. What does it mean to die to our sins?
4. How does verse 25 leave us with hope?
Close in Prayer